Filene in partnership with Credit Union Central of Canada invite you to attend our second annual joint research symposium in downtown Toronto.
International Symposium on Measuring Credit Union Performance
May 10, 2013 at the University of Toronto’s Rotman School of Management
Registration is now closed.
Download the entire pre-reading packet here. (Warning, it's 204 pages. You can click on the links below and in the agenda above for individual pre-readings.)
With a rapidly changing regulatory, payments and capital environment, what does the future look like for credit unions? Given this environment, what types of tools can credit unions use to assess their financial performance, human resource management or brand development relative to peers inside and outside the sector? The following presenters are confirmed, with more to come:
- Dennis Campbell is an associate professor of business administration at Harvard Business School. Consumers are demanding excellent product and service delivery in an ever-increasing number of channels. Professor Campbell explores how to measure the most important attributes of the member experience within each channel and carefully link investments to driving attributes that drive member value. In other words, how to prioritize channel investments in a multi-channel world.
- Lerzan Aksoy is an Associate Professor of Marketing at Fordham University. Professor Aksoy will talk about her work, recently featured in the Harvard Business Review, into the shortcomings of traditional loyalty measures such as net promoter score and member satisfaction ratings. Her session will outline her alternative Wallet Allocation Rule and, using credit union case studies from her forthcoming Filene report, illustrate how leaders can differentiate between factors that merely drive satisfaction and those that drive greater share of wallet.
- Nick Bontis is director of the Institute for Intellectual Capital Research Inc. and a professor at McMaster University in Hamilton, Ontario. Dr. Bontis will share some early results from his Canadian Central-Filene study that measures and compares how Canadian and U.S. credit unions manage their human resource practices especially with respect to passing along the knowledge of senior employees to newer staff.
- Mark Degotardi is the Head of Public Affairs for Abacus, the trade association for Australia’s credit union system. Mark has worked in the Public Affairs team at Abacus since 2003. Mark will provide an overview of how the Australian credit union system has evolved over the last twenty years, what it has done to get the attention of government, and what the system is doing to face new challenges related to regulatory burden and capital requirements.
- Mike Higgins, Jr. is a partner in the firm of Mike Higgins & Associates (MHA) and former consultant at Deloitte. He specializes in helping financial services firms manage their performance. At the Symposium, Mike will be sharing his approach to benchmarking credit union financial performance as outlined in a recent CUCC/Canadian Central publication on the topic.
- Hope Jensen Schau holds the Gary M. Munsinger Chair in Entrepreneurship and Innovation at the Eller College of Management, University of Arizona. An award-winning instructor, she teaches Marketing Management, Managing Marketing Communications, and Social Media Marketing Strategy in the Eller MBA programs. Dr. Schau will be discussing results from her Filene study on how credit unions can measure their brand strength - and the overall strength of the credit union brand - by drawing on Internet and social media discussions, instead of traditional public opinion polling.
Based on the success of our first ever joint research symposium in February 2012, we expect interest to be high for the 2013 event. So please do not delay in determining who from your organization will be attending.